Weather

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Tears, Goodbyes, and Laughter

Well the time has finally come!  The kids are all here.  The school has such a new life and so much more noise.(including the extra monkeys jumping on my roof all night)

The dorm I was assigned to is the youngest girls dorm on campus called Sunshine Dorm.  We have 11 girls around the age of 9 or 10.  That is were the tears enter the scene.  When I worked at Camp Nunny, I would see girls get home sick and remind them they would be going home soon so not to worry. Here some of these kids may not see their parents again til the end of the year.  So sometime it is very hard to encourage them. 

The goodbyes were all so sweet and touching.  You would see grown boys walking hand in hand with their mom, just holding onto that last moment together.  You saw some people just giving hug after hug, then some parents just gave a kiss and walked away.  At first the last one seems so harsh til you see the parents faces just covered with tears, and they had to walk away to be strong for their kids. 

Then there is the laughter that has filled our dorm.  Within 5 min. of all the girls getting there you would have thought that they had all been friends forever.  It is very sweet to watch the girls who have been at the school before look after to new girls.  They take the job very serious to care for each other.  In one of the classes I worked in today a little boy ran in and said Miss Mel one of the boys is missing...My mind started to race of what should I do...then he said well he was crying so maybe he is just homesick I will go look again and check on him.  The other teacher told me not to worry and let the older boy handle it.  Sure enough the new boy had been crying in the corner, and just needed a friend. 

I can not wait for the first full week of school.  They already have the kids in full swing.  My girls in my dorm already have homework or prep as they call it here.  They are all right now sitting in the dining hall with 2 prefect watching over them to make sure they get all their work done on time.  Tomorrow I get to meet with the kids I will be directing for Drama Week, and I am already having to cast tomorrow(I have 8 weeks to get a whole show together).  Then  next week I will start teaching drama lessons to some of the younger classes as well. 

Some things that you can talk to the father about are that the kids adjust quickly, that I will be prepared for lessons next week, and just for the staff as they teach not only basic subjects but also the subject of our Father.  Many of these kids have never met Dad so they are in as much need as anyone else. 

I hope you all have a great day, and know that I think of you often.

No comments:

Post a Comment